Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Aiming To Have A Very Productive Christmas Vacation!

Ah, after the longest journey in the world, and the severe indecision of "Should I stay or should I go", to quote the song, as I left my housemate sitting forlorn at the top of the stairs, I've finally reached home, or as close to home as a tiny country cottage mid-renovation can be! But despite the initial boredom and depression suffered yesterday (I literally did nothing), I've woken up fresh (at 11am!!!) and ready for four weeks of ACTUALLY doing stuff. So what do I aim to get done over this month...


  • Passing the dreaded driving test-it's got to the point where holding a license wouldn't just be a great novelty, as it seemed to be in sixth form, I just feel now that I DO really need to be able to drive. I'm growing out of public transport, public transport outside of London that is, which really is an experience in itself. I just want that independance, of being able to go anywhere, anytime. So it's just a case of swallowing the bile on the day and hauling ass.
  • Catching up on all the work I missed as a lazy second-year. Cause for these exams coming up, it seems you do really need to know your shit!
  • Getting a few cool knitting projects done, seeing as a cottage in the winter-darkened countryside is prime knitting territory. A cottage with only five channels and a tempremental Freeview reception, so perfect knitting territory. Although I only really watch BBC Four on Freeview, with it's great foreign films (adding Amores Perros to the fave film list...).
  • Catching up on some serious film viewing. Mum's got loads of ideas about seeing stuff at the cinema, as well as a few cool new DVDs. Still got Spiderman 1 to watch, as I've watched them backwards (aren't they the coolest films!). Plus there's Christmas TV, always a film fest, and the massive Blockbuster in town. Anyone got any great foreign/cult film suggestions?
  • Catching up on reading. I still have The Da Vinci Code and White Teeth burning holes in my bookshelf, and I want to read Julie Burchill's Sugar Rush before the hols are done.
  • Sorting out my style, with the help of a generously donated bag of clothes, many of them timeless classics. I've just grown out of the comic book style of my teens, well except the yeti boots mind. Forgive me for sounding pretentious here, I just feel my dress sense was permenantly immature, and lacking any sense of taste, which sucks in a university full of capsule wardrobe freaks and Topshop worshippers.
  • Taking tons of Christmas pics of the family with my newly-acquired digital camera. I'm aiming to have a wall of photos like my housemates all have in their rooms.
  • Filling the iPod!