Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Why the name change/mystery?

...yes, why indeed? Merely a case of privacy. I too have fallen prey to the common problem us bloggers seem to come across time and time again-people we know reading this blog, i.e.identifcation. And so I kinda join the hallowed (hallowed is obviously my word of the week) ground of Pax and Belle De Jour. Although my joining them is very much self-inflicted and not the glamourous case of someone so desparate to find out who you are because you've created so much intrigue.

Yes, only a prat like me would have her on-screen persona for two different internet profiley-things, and put herself at risk from experiencing one of the three following situations:

  • Show one profile to a friend-this friend being the afore-mentioned in none too flattering light, R-therefore becoming suceptible to the intrigue of such friend, who forgets the name of your profile and types it into Google. And bingo, there the hell you are.
  • Chatting to people on one profile, people who may be a little obsessed with you (I attract these types, and I say this without a hint of arrogance, I just mean I am so naive I don't sense the internet weirdos out there who Google you and message you every day and think after a brief chat at 2.30am that they know you and it's the beginning of something great. I just chatter away until something like this happens).
  • Dearest bruder pops in to pick something up off desk, notices what you are writing and can also potentially Google you later. Particularly when bruder spots a sentence featuring the word "masturbation". This is a problem in that Bruder can see both this pile of wank which none too discreetly discusses my sex life, AND find a few slutty pictures of me pouting in cheap underwear to a lascivious audience of chavs.

The internet is not great for those suceptible to bouts of ludicrous paranoia, i.e. yours truly. I've recently got a Sitemeter account, seeing it as a far more sophisticated way of monitoring traffic to my site (what little of that there is, I hasten to add. Notice also the paranoia of being called arrogant), as opposed to the previous baby-ish counter on my page, a method I've used since my first atrocity of a homepage back in the Nineties. I was attracted to the "referral" feature, where I can see where the visitors come from. I noticed a number came from searches on both my name and the profile site I'd shown friend/met internet weirdo. Searches on MSN, Google and Yahoo. So the cogs of the paranoia machine begin to creak back into action. It's either friend/weirdo/freaky coincidence. I sure as hell hope it's the very latter, otherwise I have some serious grovelling to do if it's the former, or some serious Witness Protection-style relocation net-wise if it's weirdo...

...I'm thinking of getting rid of this other profile. I don't think it really accomplishes the fusion of my sexual and thinking selves like I'd hoped, or portrays me as both serious and in touch with my sexuality :-) Belle writes about both her sexuality and her opinions on the world with intelligence and sophistication. I'm just the bird with a blog and a few trashy photos of herself in underwear spattered on some Chav profile site. I really need to work on the blending of all my different selves...